Issue date 2 May 2013
Amended 30 June 2016
1/ The plots should be used for the enjoyment & leisure gardening. To pursue the objectives of our
constitution of proper use & cultivation of plots, thus promoting health & well being, education,
community, fellowship & environment.
▪ The use of fowl, offensive, racist, or degrading language or behaviour will not be tolerated.
Any person found using such will be asked to appear before the committee.
2/ The plot should not be used for business purposes.
3/ The plots should not be used for illegal or antisocial purposes.
4/ Tenants may not use their plots as a place of residence.
5/ The plots are used for the growing of vegetables, fruit & flowers. These should be for the use of
the tenant & their family.
6/ Plots should be kept weed free and in a good state of cultivation & fertility.
7/ There must be no accumulation of rubbish, e.g. glass, plastic, asbestos, metal, rubble or
household rubbish & fly tipping. Any costs incurred by the Association in removing such rubbish will
be passed on to the plot tenant.
▪ No asbestos to be brought on to the allotment.
▪ No tyres to be brought on to the allotment.
▪ No household items to be stored on the plot.
8/ All roadways & paths to be kept free from obstruction. Each member is responsible for keeping
the grass & vegetation trimmed, cut back & rubbish free on public roads & footpaths alongside their
9/ No subletting or partial sub letting of any plots, regardless of payment. Only by written agreement
from the committee.
10/Regulations for sheds and greenhouses
▪ Max shed size 8ft x 6ft wooden construction.
▪ Max greenhouse size 8ft x 12ft
▪ Permission to remove any old sheds and greenhouses should be obtained from the
▪ All buildings will be of sound construction.
▪ Buildings, sheds & green houses considered to be unsafe will be dismantled & disposed of
off site by the tenant at the request of the Secretary. The committee may exercise the
power to have the building dismantle & removed if it is considered to be a hazard. Any cost
incurred by the committee will be passed back to the tenant.
11/ No garages or caravans will be permitted, only existing garages & caravans can stay until the
tenant vacates their plot. Removal costs to be meet by the tenant.
12/ No mature trees to be pruned or felled without permission of the committee.
13/ No large trees to be planted, only trees with dwarf rootstock that grow no more than 6ft.
14/ The tenant shall not keep any livestock on the allotment except that permitted under statute 12
(S12 Allotment Act 1950-domestic chickens and/or rabbits). The permit to keep the permitted
livestock should be obtained by writing to the committee.
▪ Consent Permits shall be issued on an individual plot basis by a person’s appointed by the
▪ Any livestock not detailed on the Consent permit or not kept in accordance with the Code of
practice will not be permitted.
▪ All Livestock shall be kept in accordance with the Ladywell Allotments Live Stock Good
▪ All members who keep chickens are encouraged to belong to DEFRA.
17/ Bonfires, due care & attention should be given to your fellow gardeners, neighbouring houses &
to public roads, make sure the fire is out before leaving the allotment plot, no burning of material
that gives off toxic fumes i.e. plastic, rubber
▪ No Fires after dark
▪ Secretary or Committee can impose a bonfire ban at any time, i.e. in drought conditions. Ban
to be displayed on notice board. Failure to comply with any ban will result in being asked to
stand before the committee.
18/ All allotment gates to be locked after entering the site & locked again when leaving
19/ Rents are due on the 1st of April each year, rent includes water, insurance & membership of the
National Society Of Allotment & Leisure Gardeners. Rents must be paid promptly & failure to pay
within 30 days will result in the plot being reallocated. Were no payment is received the tenant will
be given two weeks from the 30th day to clear & vacate their plot.
20/ If the plot is relinquished during the year, no rebate will be given.
21/ A tenant can be asked to vacate their plot if it is not maintained or not observing the rules &
regulations, the Secretary will write to the member for a explanation, if no answer within 14 days,
tenant will have 6 weeks from the date of the letter to clear & vacate their plots.
▪ Ex members must return their gate key/s to a committee member within 14 days.
22/ Plot holders must inform the committee of change of address.
23/ All dogs to be kept on a lead & owners clean up behind their dogs on tracks & paths within the
24/ New members joining during the year will have to pay rent, water and membership in full.
25/ Plot holders most ensure their plot number is displayed at the end of their plot by means of the
official number marker.
27/ Members must be fully paid & served a full twelve months April to April before being able to
stand for election to the Committee.
26/ Members must get permission to go on other members plots.
28/ All rules and regulations be changed at a full committee meeting.
29/ Water:- No sprinklers or hose pipes to be used for direct watering of plots. Hose pipes may only
be used to fill water containers on plots.
▪ An annual water charge will be paid by each member to cover the water used.
30/ Firearms:- The discharging of FAC firearms including shot guns is not allowed anywhere on the
31/ No concrete to be used on the allotment.
Ladywell Allotment & Leisure Gardeners Association
By order of the Committee
30 June 2016